Registration for LCL21 is now open!
Linguistics Career Launch 2021 is a four-week summer “boot camp” designed to help people with linguistics degrees explore career possibilities outside of academia. LCL21 will take place virtually on 19 days from July 6 to July 30 using the Gather.town platform as an interactive hub with workshops and courses conducted via Zoom.
Register using the EVENTBRITE signup below:
There are two groups of programming that make up LCL21, General Registration and Course Registration:
General Registration includes events providing broad career guidance and exploration, including:
- Workshops on career management topics like resume writing, using LinkedIn, and finding jobs opportunities
- Career panels with linguists representing a wide variety of organizations and sectors
- Networking and mentoring opportunities
General registration events will take place on approximately the following schedule:
- Programming will take place between the hours of 8am Pacific US/11am Eastern US – 3pm Pacific US/6pm Eastern US
- Mondays and Fridays will be the primary days for less structured events such as mentoring, office hours, cohort meetups
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays will be the primary days for workshops, talks, and panels
- Wednesday will be the primary day for special events, such as book launches
- The weekly networking mixers will take place on a different day and time each week, to allow everyone to join at least one
- The full schedule for each week of the general registration track, including information on the specific speakers and topics, will be released by Thursday (9:00 am Pacific, 12:00 pm Eastern) of the week before
- The final schedule for the first week of LCL21 will be available by Thursday, July 1.
Course Registration offers attendees 2 course options for a deeper dive into a sub-sector where linguists are employed. Courses consist of at least 12 contact hours with a final portfolio project. Courses will run from July 6 to July 30. Courses are capped at 30 people each.
For course descriptions go here.
Course options are:
- Course 1 “Conversation Design for Linguists” with Brielle Nickoloff:
- July 6-29, every Tues + Thurs 2:00pm – 4:00pm Pacific US/5:00pm – 7:00pm Eastern US (GMT -4)
- Final project presentations:
- Friday, July 30 9:00am – 11:00am Pacific/12:00pm – 2:00pm Eastern US
- Panel: (Day/time to be determined)
- Course 2: “Product Development for Linguists” with Na’im Tyson:
- July 6-29, every Tues + Thurs 3:00pm – 4:30pm Pacific US/6:00pm – 7:30pm Eastern US (GMT -4)
- Final project presentations:
- Thursday, July 29 3:00pm – 4:30pm Pacific US/6:00pm – 7:30pm Eastern US (GMT -4)
- Panel: (Day/time to be determined)
Pricing is as follows:
Early Bird Registration (May 24-June 15):
- General registration: $100
- ONE course WITHOUT general registration: $225
- ONE course AND general registration: $250
Regular Registration (June 16-onward):
- General registration: $150
- ONE course WITHOUT general registration: $250
- ONE course AND general registration: $300
IMPORTANT NOTE: if you sign up for a course WITHOUT general registration, you will NOT have access to ANY programming beyond that course. This means that you will NOT be able to attend any career management workshops, any networking events, any mentoring sessions, etc. You will ONLY have access to the 12 contact hours of the course and absolutely nothing beyond that. We STRONGLY encourage everyone signing up for a course to join the general registration as well. Professional success is not just determined by the knowledge and skills you have, it is also highly dependent on building a network, understanding how the application and interview process works, and learning how to market and advocate for yourself.
CANCELLATION POLICY AND REFUNDS:
In the event that LCL21 is cancelled by the organizers, registrants will be entitled to a refund of all registration costs MINUS any Eventbrite registration fees.
All registrations are final. Refunds will not be provided if you cancel your individual attendance. If you can no longer attend, your registration will be transferable to another individual until July 1, 2021. If you need to transfer your registration, you can do so on your ticket in Eventbrite.
What information we collect about you and whom we share it with:
By registering for LCL21, you consent to share your name and certain information with the organizers of LCL21; our parent organization, the Linguistic Society of America; and the corporate sponsors of LCL21.
LC21 (and its corporate sponsors) will not sell or share your information with third parties for any reason. You will have the ability to opt out of communications from LCL21, LSA, or our LCL21 corporate sponsors.
CONFERENCE POLICY (CODE OF CONDUCT):
All attendees, speakers, sponsors and volunteers at our conference are required to agree with the following code of conduct. Organizers will enforce this code throughout the event. We expect cooperation from all participants to help ensure a safe environment for everybody.
The Quick Version
Our conference is dedicated to providing a harassment-free conference experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion (or lack thereof), or technology choices. We do not tolerate harassment of conference participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any conference venue, including talks, workshops, parties, Twitter and other online media. Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the conference organizers.
The Less Quick Version
Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion, technology choices, sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. Sponsors are also subject to the anti-harassment policy. In particular, sponsors should not use sexualised images, activities, or other material. If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the conference organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expulsion from the conference with no refund.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of conference staff immediately. Conference staff will be tagged with #Staff in the virtual platforms. The conference organizers can be reached via email at LinguisticsBeyondAcademia@gmail.com. Additional contact details will be provided in the welcome packet when the conference opens.
Conference staff will be happy to assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the conference. We value your attendance.
We expect participants to follow these rules at conference and workshop venues and any other conference-related events.
Conference Code of Conduct adapted from Confcodeofconduct.com
CONSENT TO RECORD:
Certain LCL21 programming hosted on Zoom will be recorded and made available for replay (including panels, workshops, lectures, and other presentations). By attending LCL21’s Zoom events, you are consenting to having your image and voice recorded and made available to other LCL21 attendees, as well as the general public if and when these recordings are released. Public release of these recordings (or edited versions of the recordings) will be part of Linguistics Beyond Academia’s continued efforts to make career exploration information more broadly available to the linguistics community.
Events hosted on Gather (mixers, social activities, office hours, pop-up mentoring) will not be recorded. Courses may be recorded for use only by the instructor and registered participants but will not be released publicly.